Right-of-Way Use Permits

SL_ Piles and Driveway markings 010_ColorCropped.jpg

A Right-of-Way (ROW) Use Permit is required for any activity that:

  • Occurs in the right-of-way;
  • Significantly impacts traffic; OR
  • Constructs or modifies infrastructure in the ROW.

The City does not grant permission to temporarily place dumpsters or moving pods/containers in the right of way OR to fill in ditches. Ditches manage surface water runoff and are an essential part of City infrastructure.

Getting Started

The ROW often extends into what may appear to be private property. Assets in the ROW include the roadway, curb and gutter, sidewalks, landscaping, sewer and water lines, telephone, power, and other utility infrastructure. 

Check the Sammamish maps to determine if you will be in the right-of-way as well as the Lane Closure Restrictions Map. Digging more than a foot deep in the public right of way, even to plant a shrub, may encounter power lines or other utilities, which could cause serious damage or harm.

The Public Works Department can assist you in the early stages of planning to determine whether a ROW permit is required. Please contact Stephen Noeske (contact information below) for assistance. 

Applying for a ROW permit

Apply, track the status of your application, and schedule inspections (Type B and C Permits only) on www.MyBuildingPermit.com.

Detailed application instructions and submittal requirements are included at the end of each application form linked below.

Type A: Special Events, such as fun runs or parades

Type B: Construction, replacement, or modifications to driveway connections, frontage improvements, etc.

Type C: Utility repairs, installation, and maintenance

Type D: Lease agreement required for items to be placed in the right-of-way (may include fences or rockeries)

Type A ROW Permits must be requested at least eight weeks before the desired event date.

Permit Resources

sidewalk maintenance

Sammamish differs from many other jurisdictions because it will maintain and repair all sidewalks for cracks and trip hazards. You are responsible, however, for cleaning or removing snow & ice from sidewalks. If a sidewalk requires repair, please notify us through My Sammamish.

Please contact Code Compliance for complaints about items blocking the public ROW.

Staff Contact